Burnout and Wellbeing: Healing Medicine From the Inside Out
- This dinner program will be a virtual (online) event. -
This activity will walk participants through how burnout can show up in unexpected ways, why this happens, and tangible steps to start healing.
- Describe the neurobiology of burnout and how it contributes to clinical consequences
- Recognize symptoms of burnout in oneself and colleagues/team members
- List three tips to combat burnout and its deleterious effects on healthcare providers and the entire care team
- Integrate one tip to start oneself on the path to thriving in a setting associated with a high risk of burnout
This activity is intended for oncology nurse practitioners, physician assistants, nurses, nurse navigators, medical assistants, and other healthcare providers involved in the care of cancer patients.
All Times Listed are for the Eastern Standard Time Zone
Tuesday, February 21, 2023
|5:55pm||Welcome and Introduction|
» Andrea Edwards, PA-C
|6:00pm||Meet-the-Clinicians Exhibits (non-CME)|
|6:30pm||Burnout and Wellbeing: Healing Medicine From the Inside Out|
» Margaret Leddy, MMSc, PA-C - Physician Assistant - Duke Cancer Center - Durham, NC
» Andrea Edwards, PA-C
Andrea has been practicing as a Hematology/Oncology Physician Assistant since 2011. She previously completed a year of practice in Orthopedics before joining VOA. She works alongside VOA physicians with a special focus on breast cancer, among other cancers. She played an integral role in the development of the survivorship program.
Andrea serves as supervisor of the VOA Advanced Practice Providers. She is a member of the Virginia Association of Physician Assistants, the American Academy of Physician Assistants, and the Association of Physician Assistants in Oncology. Outside of medicine, Andrea enjoys spending time with her family and friends.
Meg Leddy, MMSc, PA-C, Physician Assistant, Duke Cancer Center, Durham, NC
Meg Leddy has been a practicing Physician Assistant for over 17 years. She grew up in the suburbs of Boston and attended undergrad at the University of Vermont where she studied Nutrition and Sports Medicine. She went on to receive her Masters of Medical Science from Yale University School of Medicine Physician Associate Program. It was there where she fell in love with surgery. She has practiced as a surgical PA in orthopedics, general surgery, cardiothoracic, and currently works in surgical oncology. Meg became a Wellness Ambassador at Duke in 2018 after suffering through severe medical burnout. She now speaks all over the country and hosts a podcast to bring awareness to medical burnout and share personal solutions. Her ultimate goal is to help create a shift in the culture of medicine towards one of wellbeing and inclusivity allowing medical providers to thrive at work. She loves to ski, meditate, spend time with her growing teenagers, and have coffee with her husband every morning.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™Horizon CME designates this Live activity for a maximum of 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 1.00 ANCCThis activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation through the joint providership of the Nurse Practitioner Healthcare Foundation and Horizon CME. The Nurse Practitioner Healthcare Foundation is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. NPHF is awarding the contact hours and is responsible for adherence to the ANCC criteria. This course is approved by the Nurse Practitioner Healthcare Foundation, California Board of Registered Nursing, CEP# 16441. Upon completion, NPs and RNs will be awarded up to 1.00 credit.
Access to the internet is required.
Internet Explorer 8.0+ for Windows 2003, Vista, XP, Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and above
Google Chrome 28.0+ for Windows, Mac OS, or Linux
Mozilla Firefox 23.0+ for Windows, Mac OS, or Linux
Safari 6.0+ for Mac OSX 10.7 and above
Supported Phones & Tablets:
Android 4.0.3 and above
iPhone/iPad with iOS 6.1 or above
How to obtain credit for attendance (eligibility requirement and process for obtaining certificate)
To receive documentation of credit, participants must:
Login to the educational portal
Attend the educational activity
Complete the online evaluation form. The last day to access the evaluation is March 21, 2023 at 11:59pm PST*
Attest to the number of hours in attendance in order to generate your certificate
*Requests from learners to claim credit after the evaluation closes will not be granted