The Role of Bone Marrow Biopsy: Diagnosing Hematopoietic Malignancies
SELF STUDY / ENDURING - ESTIMATED TIME TO COMPLETE ACTIVITY: 90 Minutes
Examination of the bone marrow is essential for the diagnosis and staging of hematologic malignancies. This webcast will review the role and characteristic features of the bone marrow biopsy as an integral part of evaluating hematologic malignancies.
This CME initiative was designed for oncologists, surgeons, radiation oncologists, NPs, PAs, pharmacists, nurses, and other healthcare professionals involved in the treatment of patients with cancer.
1. Identify the components of a bone marrow evaluation
2. Recognize basic pathologic features of lymphoma, leukemia, and plasma cell myeloma
3. Discuss key elements of a bone marrow biopsy report
Jennifer Dunlap, MD
Dr. Dunlap is an Associate Professor at Oregon Health and Science university with subspecialty expertise in hematopathology. She attended the University of Texas Southwestern Medical school and then completed a pathology residency followed by surgical pathology and hematopathology fellowships at Oregon Health & Science University. Her research focus is in the development and application of novel methods in molecular pathology towards diagnosis, early detection, and minimal residual disease detection in hematopoietic neoplasms. In addition to clinical and research work, Dr. Dunlap enjoys teaching trainees at all levels and has lectured at numerous local, regional and national meetings.
In accordance with the ACCME Standards for Integrity and Independence in Accredited Continuing Education, Horizon CME (HCME) ensures that continuing education activities are balanced, independent, objective, and scientifically rigorous.
All persons in a position to influence the content of an accredited continuing education activity provided by Horizon CME are required to disclose to HCME any relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies within the past 24 months. All reported relevant financial relationships have been mitigated by Horizon CME.
Jennifer Dunlap, MD discloses no relevant financial relationships with any entity producing, marketing, re-selling, or distributing health care goods or services consumed by, or used on, patients during the past 24 months.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™Horizon CME designates this Enduring activity for a maximum of 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 1.00 ANCCThis activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation through the joint providership of the Nurse Practitioner Healthcare Foundation and Horizon CME. The Nurse Practitioner Healthcare Foundation is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. NPHF is awarding the contact hours and is responsible for adherence to the ANCC criteria. This course is approved by the Nurse Practitioner Healthcare Foundation, California Board of Registered Nursing, CEP# 16441. Upon completion, NPs and RNs will be awarded up to 1.00 credit.
There are no fees for participating and receiving CME credit for this enduring activity. To receive CME credit participants must:
- Read the CME/CE information and faculty disclosures.
- Participate in the online activity.
- Complete the post-test and score a minimum of 70%
- Submit the evaluation form
This activity is designed for educational purposes. Participants have a responsibility to utilize this information to enhance their professional development to improve patient outcomes. Conclusions drawn by the participants should be derived from careful consideration of all available scientific information. The participant should use his/her clinical judgment, knowledge, experience, and diagnostic decision-making before applying any information, whether provided here or by others, for any professional use.
Access to the internet is required.
Internet Explorer 8.0+ for Windows 2003, Vista, XP, Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and above
Google Chrome 28.0+ for Windows, Mac OS, or Linux
Mozilla Firefox 23.0+ for Windows, Mac OS, or Linux
Safari 6.0+ for Mac OSX 10.7 and above
Supported Phones & Tablets:
Android 4.0.3 and above
iPhone/iPad with iOS 6.1 or above