Oncology 101: A Hematology and Oncology Primer for Advanced Practice Providers (Virtual Conference)
- This conference will be a virtual (online) event. -
The demand for cancer care is expected to grow 40% over the next six years and ASCO is projecting a shortage of more than 2,200 oncologists by 2025. To meet the cancer care needs of patients, advanced practice providers (APPs), whose education and training is focused on health promotion, disease prevention, and primary care medical management, have increasingly been sought to fill the shortage. However, many APPs have little background or training in oncology. As a result, oncology practices need to provide new staff with an onboarding program that helps to establish a working baseline level of knowledge of hematology and oncology.
To help APPs prepare for a new career in the specialty of oncology, Horizon CME in partnership with APAO has developed “Oncology 101: A Hematology and Oncology Primer for Advanced Practice Providers”. In this two-and-a-half-day program, clinicians will gain a basic understanding of cancer therapies, benign and malignant hematologic disorders, solid malignancies, supportive care strategies, oncologic emergencies, genetics and molecular testing, and more. Participation in this program will provide APPs with the foundational knowledge they need to provide support and care to cancer patients as part of the multidisciplinary oncology care team.
This program is appropriate for new APPs, nurses, and pharmacists in oncology, clinicians seeking a review, or clinicians considering a career in oncology.
August 13, 2022
September 13, 2022
October 15, 2022
Industry Employee** registration is date based pricing +$200
*Student is defined as currently enrolled in an advanced learning institution and/or studying in order to enter a particular profession.
If you would like to attend as a Student, please contact email@example.com for further information.
**Defined as anyone employed by a drug, device, or diagnostic company. The primary goal of the conference is to educate practicing clinicians on the latest advances and strategies in the care of cancer patients. Because space is limited and to ensure sufficient seats are available for clinicians, Industry Employees may register as an attendee only if you have a clinical title (NP, PharmD, MD, PA, etc).
- Describe the presentation, evaluation, and treatment of common, solid, and hematologic malignancies
- Recognize the presentation, evaluation, and treatment of common benign hematologic disorders
- Summarize the role of genetics and molecular testing in cancer care
- Compare and contrast the various types of cancer treatment including stem cell transplant, chemotherapy, targeted therapies, radiotherapy, and immunotherapy
- Identify and appropriately manage common oncologic emergencies
- Outline the role of palliative care and effectively incorporate it into oncology practice
This activity is intended for oncology nurse practitioners, physician assistants, nurses, nurse navigators, medical assistants, and other healthcare providers involved in the care of cancer patients.
Please note: times are subject to change. Please check the syllabus for the most current version of the agenda upon arriving at the summit.
All Times Listed are for the Mountain Standard Time Zone
Thursday, October 13, 2022
|1:00pm||Welcome, Introductions, & CE Housekeeping|
|1:10pm||(01) Difficult Conversations and End-of-Life Care|
» Justin Baker, MD - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
» Joslyn Rudoni, PharmD, BCOP - Cleveland Clinic Taussig Cancer Center
|2:45pm||(03) Supportive Care|
» Laura J. Zitella, MS, RN, ACNP-BC, AOCN - University of California, San Francisco
Friday, October 14, 2022
|7:50am||Welcome, Introductions, & CE Housekeeping|
|8:00am||(04) Introduction to Malignant Hematology|
» Jennie M. Goble, PA-C - Mayo Clinic | ALL, AML, Myelodysplastic syndromes, Myelofibrosis
» Amy Goodrich, CRNP-AC - Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center | CLL, CML
» Claressa Rosacina, MSN, RN, AGPCNP-BC - Oncology Consultants | Hodgkin lymphoma, Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma
» Beth Faiman, PhD, MSN, APN-BC, AOCN, BMTCN, FAAN - Cleveland Clinic | Multiple myeloma, MGUS, Amyloidosis, Waldenstroms
|9:45am||Stump the Faculty - Panel Q&A Discussion|
|10:25am||(05) Introduction to Benign Hematology|
» Beth Faiman, PhD, MSN, APN-BC, AOCN, BMTCN, FAAN - Cleveland Clinic | Anemia, ITP, Essential thrombocytosis
» Lauren Imboden, MMS, PA-C - Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist | Polycythemia, Hemophilia, Coagulopathies (factor V leiden, VTE)
|11:45am||Stump the Faculty - Panel Q&A Discussion|
|12:10pm||Non-CME Symposium Sponsored by Janssen - EGFR Exon 20 Insertion Mutations – Considerations for the Patient Care Team in the Management and Treatment of Adult Patients with Locally Advanced and Metastatic EGFR+ Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer With Exon 20 Insertion Mutations Whose Disease Has Progressed On or After Platinum-Based Chemotherapy|
» Shannon Mosman, Oncology Clinical Educator, BSN, RN, OCN
|12:55pm||(06) Pain Management in Cancer Care|
» Theresa Mallick-Searle, MS, PMGT-BC, ANP-BC - Stanford Health Care
|1:25pm||(07) Stem Cell Transplant|
» Linda M. Perry, MS, PA-C - Perelman Center for Advanced Medicine
|2:15pm||(08) Precision Medicine: The Role of Molecular Testing in Cancer|
» Beth Sandy, MSN, CRNP - University of Pennsylvania
» Beth Faiman, PhD, MSN, APN-BC, AOCN, BMTCN, FAAN - Medical Oncology Cleveland Clinic
|3:00pm||(09) Oncologic Emergencies|
» Brenda Shelton, DNP, APRN-CNS, CCRN, AOCN, NPD-BC - Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins
Saturday, October 15, 2022
|7:50am||Welcome and Introductions|
|8:00am||(10) Introduction to Solid Malignancies|
» Kristi K. Orbaugh, RN, MSN, RNP, AOCN - Community Hospital Oncology Physicians| Breast Cancer
» Beth Sandy, MSN, CRNP - Abrahamson Cancer Center, University of Pennsylvania | Lung Cancer
» Kelley A. Rone, DNP, RN, AGNP-C - Mayo Clinic | Colorectal Cancer, Liver Cancer
» Victoria Wong, MHS, PA-C - Fox Chase Cancer Center | Prostate and Bladder Cancer
» Jessica Walchonski, PA-C - UCLA Health | Ovarian Cancer
» Grace Cherry, NP - UCLA Health | Melanoma
|10:00am||Stump the Faculty - Panel Q&A Discussion|
|10:40am||(11) Chemotherapy Review|
» Sandra Cuellar, PharmD, BCOP, FHOPA, FASHP - University of Illinois College of Pharmacy
|11:45am||(12) Targeted Therapies|
» Jennifer Murphy, PharmD, BCOP - UCD Health, Oncology & Investigational Drug Service
|12:30pm||Non-CME Symposium Sponsored by Seagen: A Treatment Option for Patients with HER2+ Metastatic Breast Cancer (MBC)|
» V.K. Gadi, MD, PhD - University of Illinois at Chicago
|1:15pm||(13) Introduction to Radiology|
» Joshua A. Jones, MD, MA - Abramson Cancer Center, University of Pennsylvania
|1:45pm||(14) CAR-T Cell Therapy|
» Patricia Mangan, RN, MSN, CRNP - University of Pennsylvania
|2:15pm||Stump the Faculty - Panel Q&A Discussion|
|2:30pm||(15) Cancer Survivorship|
» Todd Hultman, PhD, ACNP, ACHPN - Presbyterian Healthcare Services
- 14.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™Horizon CME designates this Live activity for a maximum of 14.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 14.25 ANCCThis activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation through the joint providership of the Nurse Practitioner Healthcare Foundation and Horizon CME. The Nurse Practitioner Healthcare Foundation is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. NPHF is awarding the contact hours and is responsible for adherence to the ANCC criteria. This course is approved by the Nurse Practitioner Healthcare Foundation, California Board of Registered Nursing, CEP# 16441. Upon completion, NPs and RNs will be awarded up to 14.25 credit.
- 6.00 PharmacologyThis activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation through the joint providership of the Nurse Practitioner Healthcare Foundation and Horizon CME. The Nurse Practitioner Healthcare Foundation is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. NPHF is awarding the contact hours and is responsible for adherence to the ANCC criteria. This course is approved by the Nurse Practitioner Healthcare Foundation, California Board of Registered Nursing, CEP# 16441. Upon completion, NPs and RNs will be awarded up to 6.00 credit.
Access to the internet is required.
Internet Explorer 8.0+ for Windows 2003, Vista, XP, Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and above
Google Chrome 28.0+ for Windows, Mac OS, or Linux
Mozilla Firefox 23.0+ for Windows, Mac OS, or Linux
Safari 6.0+ for Mac OSX 10.7 and above
Supported Phones & Tablets:
Android 4.0.3 and above
iPhone/iPad with iOS 6.1 or above
How to obtain credit for attendance (eligibility requirement and process for obtaining certificate)
To receive documentation of credit, participants must:
Login to the educational portal
Attend the educational activity
Complete the online evaluation form. The last day to access the evaluation is November 13, 2022 at 11:59pm MST*
Attest to the number of hours in attendance in order to generate your certificate
*Requests from learners to claim credit after the evaluation closes will not be granted